Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

There oughta be a law . . .

vintage Christmas card . . . against putting up Christmas decorations before December 1st. Yawn, ok, this is such a predictable rant, and obviously the Christmas shopping period is now steaming ahead merrily, but for goodness sake! It's barely mid-November, and there are some houses already displaying symptoms of advanced Xmas. Shops, ok, they're drumming up sales of Xmas gifts so theming the display in advance is fair enough (just), at least as soon as the last non-Xmas shopping event (Halloween or Fireworks) is out of the way.

But town centre lights going on this week in various towns, a tree in the foyer of the Kent International Hotel, that amazingly decorated front room in a private house on Margate Road in Ramsgate (nearly opposite the junction of Whitehall Road, you know who I mean) - couldn't you just hold on till December 1st at least? Aaaaaarrrrrgh! And they're just the ones I saw yesterday.

I have a feeling the madness can only get worse. Sigh. We're doomed. See what happens when I have to get up at 5.30 to get she-who-must-be-adored to the station!

And the card on the left? Well, if you can't beat 'em, you might as well just join 'em, enjoy it and at least make it vaguely tasteful. That's my excuse.

Normal equilibrium will be restored shortly. In January.

2 comments:

Little Weed said...

I agree with your 1st December rant. But although I used to agree with tasteful, somehow one reaches an age when suddenly as vulgar as possible becomes the norm. And my daughter hates me for it.

ZumiWeb said...

Well I did say vaguely tasteful... And as all us fans of 1950s, 1960s and 1970s retro know, the tacky/tasteful spectrum stretches very far indeed...