Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Seaside Postcard 27: Last, First, Next Train

This card dates from 1912, and refers just to the last train of the day, not to a line closure (I hope!). Hopefully the excitable crowd just reflects the end of a fabulous day at the seaside, not desperation to escape back to the big city...

comic ramsgate postcard

Eurostar So the first train has officially pulled out of St Pancras. And the next picture is the train that promises to bring us that little bit closer to London. Eventually. A Little. Spot the similarity? Except for the destination unfortunately...

Much as I love St Pancras as a station, Waterloo was a particular favourite, so it's with a litle bit of sadness that I noted the closure of Waterloo International yesterday, as Eurostar enters its new phase of operations. Ebbsfleet is nowhere near as handy as Ashford (actually it's just nowhere!), and to be honest I really don't consider shaving 20 minutes off a pleasant enough journey is worth the expense and upheaval. Still, we'll be on the train in a couple of weeks (from Ashford) as the other end isn't changing, and a regular dose of Paris does wonders... especially once their Christmas displays are up.
Eurostar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you send me your email address as I tonyflaig(atsign)gmail.com re security problem with your site

Tony Flaig said...

Ignore my previous comment I accessed your sitemeter details whilst I was trawling through mine. I assume you have it set to allow public scruitiny.

ZumiWeb said...

Thanks Tony,

I had a real hard think when I set it up as to what problems having public stats could cause, and couldn't come up with any, which is why they are public. If I was a retailer (or even something more politically sensitive) trying to keep commercial secrets, that would be different, but as it is, I really don't mind who knows how many (ok, how few) people see my ramblings...

And I remain startled as to just how quick a posting can result in a related google search - sometimes just minutes.

Cheers, Mark