Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What's in a name

How many Ramsgates are there? Just ambling around the web this morning, as you do, and I found The Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN). A few seconds later and I have the vital knowledge that I seek. There are five Ramsgates dotted around the world, two of which I knew of (the Southern Hemisphere ones) and two others, in the USA.
  • Ramsgate, Kent , UK (OK, we know that one)
  • Ramsgate, in Province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
  • Ramsgate, New South Wales, Australia
  • Ramsgate News, a suburb of Baltimore, Maryland, USA
  • Ramsgate Spring, Yavapai County, Arizona USA

Has anyone been to any of these? Are they nice? Margate has a few more, a total of nine in fact, including Margate Swamp (South Carolina, since you ask) but I can't find another Broadstairs (well it is a very exclusive location, after all), or another Thanet for that matter. And 180 results for Kent, but that's for another day . . .

No comments: